Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Quilt #3 - Rainbow Quilt

I cannot believe how fast this past 2 weeks have gone by!  I thought I had written this post already and that it was ready to post.  So my last quilt was a quilt top from the mid 1980s.  When I made  it, I was disappointed.  It was very hard to find nice fabric in the colors I wanted.  I put it away, but chose to keep it.  I'm not sure why, but I'm so glad I did.



Because I'm struggling with not being able to move the position of the quilt as I do on my sewing machine, I have drawn out the rope pattern.  I used a Sewline ceramic mechanical pencil to do the markings.


This is the little quilt.  I hated the only solid green I could find and the yellow was just plain wimpy!  Back in the 1980s it was hard to find yellow.  It is possible it is not even cotton, but a cotton polyester blend...the green may be the same.

What I do like, is the rectangular blocks of color.  That was unusual in the 80s.   The contrast with the black, I love.  Today in my eyes, the colors sing.   This still needs binding which I haven't taken the time to sit at the machine and piece it.  I find that I want to be working with Phoebe and continuing to learn this new craft to the best of my ability.   


 I enlarged this picture so in the little sunny section in the upper left the piano key portion of the border shows up.  I love doing this particular detail.  Love the way it looks.

As far as the rest of the border,  like the rope border, I'm working on learning to quilt in all directions. I'm not crazy about the way it came out, but it is one more time of practice and I'm getting better.  I figure it will take a year to get quilting down to my liking.  So this is the Rainbow Quilt.

But, you know what?  I love working with Phoebe and I'm proud of each quilt I do.  Somewhere along the line, I will improve.  It really is exciting to me.  I still cannot believe I have a long arm quilting machine. it is not a love/hate relationship.  I simply love working with Phoebe whether I'm struggling or not.  She is a great blessing to me.  I'm working on another one now.  I'm not sure what I will call it.  Here is a quick preview:


Enjoying my blessings!

dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment