Monday, February 19, 2018

Quilt #2 - Red Raffle Quilt for Living Waters Center

 I volunteer at Living Waters Center in Lowell, MA.  Living Waters is a Christian based Community Center formed to help the homeless in this city.   We had an Empty Bowl event to raise money for the homeless back in early February.  So I had this little quilt top ready and hadn't had a lot of interest in quilting it.  I simply had no idea what to do with it.  I was debating adding applique to give it some interest.  When we were asked if we had anything that could be raffled off, this came to my mind immediately.  These pictures are not great and the color is not true, but it was great practice helping with handling the machine.  What I love is the ruler work piano key border.  I will do this again on something.  I really love ruler work.  It makes everything look so finished.
 This shows off the piano key border really well.  Also on this quilt is a little half inch border in white.  It has almost become a signature part of my quilts made in the past 18 years or so.  There is something about it that is a step away from border after border after border. 
I've had this fabric for years and absolutely love yellow and red.  When it came to choosing a back, I was all over choosing this fabric.  So glad I did.  I hope the winner of the raffle loves it as much as I do.
I also chose peach thread to quilt this.  It was the perfect pink!  I was very surprised.  It blended so well with the red on the front, but was subtle on the white.  And it was very pretty on the yellow.  I don't usually use thread that stands out like this, but I definitely learned something important doing so.  It will now be part of my decision making process.

So, all in all, again the learning process or learning curve has been a great experience.  There truly is always something to learn.  Every day I improve and every week or two I've finished another quilt top.  It works for me.  By the Way, I actually love the way this little quilt came out!

Enjoying my blessings,

dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment